1. First Pick – DEWALT DW716 15 Amp 12 Inch Double Bevel Compound Miter Saw
When you want proven quality in a miter saw and other professional grade construction products, you want a DeWalt. This name has been in the forefront of construction for years, and they always have great products.
The DW716 15 Amp 12-Inch Double Bevel Compound Miter Saw is a dream come true. It has a RPM speed of 3,600 and detents that make quick work of common angles.
You can also override the detent settings and choose your own degree angles. A total of 11 positive stops make this a truly versatile tool.
You have a generous 0-48 degrees to the left and right with this saw, making bevel cuts simple and easy. And with a total weight of only 44 lbs, you can pretty much carry this miter saw anywhere there’s an outlet. It’s compatible with DeWalt laser systems, giving you yet another reason to seriously consider it.
One of the best things about DeWalt products is the warranty period. This miter saw comes with a three year warranty, keeping you safe from factory defects. When you buy this saw you can be sure you’re truly getting a quality product.
- 15 Amp Motor
- 3,600 RPM Spin Speed
- 12 Inch Blade Diameter
- Dual Bevels
- Sliding Fence
- Multiple Positive Stops
- Three Year Warranty
- Great for working on stairs, making quality trim, cabinets, and more.
- Accuracy with this saw is truly top notch
- Will last you years of trouble free use
- Allows you to connect a laser sight onto the saw
- Included brake stops the blade fast
- This is one of the best overall miter saws on the market today
- Being able to override the detents allows you to make the most accurate cuts
- It is very accurate, cuts great and does a great job for most tasks
- Some people think the dust collection bag is too small but this should not be the reason not to buy a saw
- A little bit of a learning curve for new miter saw users
See Lowest Offer On The Market For DEWALT DW716
Amazon Customer Review:
OK so lets make something clear really quick before I talk about the saw. A lot of carpenters ask me what I think the best saw is. Depends on what you do for a living and how you do it.
No tool manufacture makes every tool they have in their line perfect. For example the Dewalt 12″ slider is very inaccurate, but this saw is not.
The Bosch jigsaws are amazing tools but Bosch’s 10″ slider is always a pain to stay square and just doesn’t hold up for finish trim work. With that said here is my review on the DW716.
I need two saws for being a finish carpenter. A 12″ non sliding miter saw for cutting big material and big crown and base in position. All reasonably portable 12″ sliding saws have blade deflection due to the rail and 12″ blade, but i need the capability of a 12″ blade.
I also have a Hitachi 10″ slider that I love if I am doing a huge 8-10″ crown, paneling, or lid work or small cuts with base cap or even large casing. I’ve beat the crap out of the DW716, cut miles of base, crown, deck work etc, in and out of the back of my truck, rained on, etc.. and it does a great job.
I recommend for this product to get a thick kerf saw blade with 60+ teeth because of the saw capacity you will use it to cut tall material vertically, and you don’t want a thin kerf to wander and deflect when you go down to make a cut. The stock blade is good for cutting things you don’t want to cut with your expensive blades like demo material, pre-treated wet lumber etc.
A CMT or Forrest ChopMaster are great blades to use. The Freud Industrial blades are good as well but don’t use the diablos, they don’t last and are not in the same category as the industrial series.
Another thing to mention is how convenient the miter over ride feature is for changing a 45 to a 45.5 etc.. This saw stays accurate and is very accurate.
This saw is not the same as the cheaper 715 because the 715 has the motor on the right that gets in the way of big cuts and the 716 motor is placed higher up and has the bigger fence and dual bevels for changing weird base cuts etc. It is very accurate, cuts great and does a great Job for most tasks.
It only cross cuts 8″ however I flip the material over all the time and it always turns out a perfect 90.. I recommend also to build an auxiliary fence out of hardwood to not rely on the fence. They move a little with pressure because they are so tall but it’s not worth discarding the thought to purchase this saw.
Dust collection is surprisingly good and the bags fills up quickly. I could care less about dust collection because to me its no reason not to buy a saw. I think dust collection is over rated because u still have to sweep at the end of the day anyway so does it really matter it all goes on the trash eventually. accuracy is whats important.
The saw is very powerful and you can tell when you squeeze the trigger it jumps. No big deal if you’re a carpenter, but an inexperienced do-it yourselfer might be intimidated by the power.
I’m a finish carpenter and highly recommend this 716. The rest of them have been very disappointing on the job site. Hope this review helps a professional.
See Lowest Offers For DEWALT DW716
2. Second Pick – Bosch GCM12SD 12 Inch Glide Miter Saw
When it comes to miter saws and buying one that you’re going to be happy with, you’re going to want to do your research. Not all miter saws are worth buying, and you need to arm yourself with the information that will help you make a smarter purchase.
With an axial glide cutting system, this miter saw takes up 12 inches less space than competing saws. It’s made by Bosch, one of the most well known names in the construction business.
And with its 15 amp, 3,800 RPM motor, it’s able to go through even the toughest materials easily. It’s blade compatibility allows it to use a variety of different blades, further adding to the amount of projects you can get done.
With the GCM12SD, you can make nearly every cut imaginable. This is a great saw for shops and home users and it will stand up to everyday use without complaint. The SquareLock Fence system allows you to line up all of your materials and will make bevel cuts as well. 0-60 degree bevel cuts are possible with this saw.
Overall, this is a great compound miter saw for the money. Bosch is continually turning out great products and this one comes with a one year limited warranty.
- 15 Amp Motor
- 12 Inch Blade Diameter
- 0-60 Degree Bevel Capacity
- SquareLock Fence System
- Ergonomic Handle
- Dust Capture Adaptor
- Dust Bag
- One Year Warranty
- One of the best saws on the market for shops and home users – Definitely worth the money
- Proven Bosch quality
- Cuts don’t have any vibration, resulting in silky smooth edges
- Dust collection system works wonderfully to keep work areas clean from the start
- Bevel cuts are simple and the bevel scale is true and accurate
- Axial glide mechanism is very smooth and offers long lasting performance
- Safety trigger prevents cutting mishaps before they happen
- Included detents allow for numerous preset cutting angles
- Overall a solid compound saw that’s worthy of your consideration
- No laser sight system
- Some people have found this saw awkward to move and carry around
See Lowest Offers On The Market For Bosch GCM12SD
3. Third Pick – Makita LS1216L 12 Inch Dual Slide Compound Miter Saw
With dual slides, this Makita LS1216L 12 Inch Compound Miter Saw is as good as you can get for the money. You can make crosscuts, crown cuts, and it has a ball bearing system to keep it running smoothly.
The 5 1/2 inch tall sliding fence is another improvement, and upper and lower fence adjustments allow you to keep everything lined up precisely the way you want it. It bevels from 0-52 degrees on the left, and 0-60 degrees on the right. It also has multiple positive stops to speed up the process of making angled cuts.
The bevel scales are true and accurate, and it even has a laser sighting system to ensure that every cut you make is as good as it can get.
The 15 amp motor is guaranteed to never slip, get bogged down, or need maintenance in any way. The included Electronic Speed Control makes sure that blade RPM is maintained throughout your cuts.
DXT (Deep and Exact Cutting Technology) is a modern day miracle for construction professionals. It’s a tried and true engine system that really works well, and the LS1216L features it.
- 15 Amp Motor
- 3200 RPM Spin Speed
- 5 1/2 Inch Tall Sliding Fence
- Left/Right Beveling 0-52 degrees left, 0-60 degrees right
- Positive Stops
- Dual Bevel Scales
- DXT (Deep and Exact Cutting Technology)
- Built in laser does a great job of aligning cuts perfectly
- The perfect miter saw for business professionals like carpenters, woodworkers, cabinet makers, decking and flooring workers, and more
- Best in Class for functionality in the garage and at the worksite
- 12″ blade goes through tough molding projects easily
- Majority of components to this saw are made from metal, adding to the overall durability
- Cuts wide boards of up to 15″ with ease
- Reports of this saw being prone to kickback
- A few reports of dust clogs