The Nesco American Harvest FD-1020 Gardenmaster 1000 watt digital food dehydrator includes four trays and other accessories. It dries food easily–in hours rather than days.
The unit can be taken apart easily, and everything except the power head is dishwasher-safe. The exterior of the unit blocks out lights which can destroy nutrients in the food as it dehydrates.
The Gardenmaster’s patented fan features a radial movement that pushes air through the center of the unit: the air then flows over the trays, drying food evenly and quickly.
- The unit includes a 1000-watt, four-tray digital food dehydrator, which dries foods in just hours.
- There is no need to rotate the trays. Flavors won’t mix, and the opaque exterior ensures that nutrients in the foods are not damaged by light.
- The parts are dishwasher safe, and the unit comes with a recipe book, a packet of jerky spice mix, and both solid and mesh sheets.
- The thermostat is adjustable and a 48-hour digital timer is included.
- The unit measures 15 x 15 x 9 inches.
Nesco FD-1020 Gardenmaster Pros:
- Is an excellent dehydrator – does exactly what it is designed for and is strongly made so it lasts a long time.
- Dehydrates everything very evenly, which means that it is all great to eat.
- The dehydrator it is very well made and therefore it will last a long time.
- It has the fan in the top, which not only means that it stays clean as nothing can drip on it, but it does not ruin any of the food that may fall to the bottom of the machine.
- Has a timer which means that it can be set off and will automatically turn off when done, so doesn’t waste any electricity and it can be left running at night without worry or monitoring.
- Really good for drying small batches of food such as jerky and fruit.
- Is large and so is able to dry a lot of items at once, saving time and power.
- It is possible to expand the machine by adding more trays which makes it a lot more versatile than many other models. It offers a huge capacity with the add-on trays and fan ensures that food on the bottom tray dries just as quickly as that on the top.
- It is very easy to clean with the plastic trays and base being suitable for dishwasher cleaning.
- Goes up to a hotter temperature than many other dehydrators – 165 rather than 155 degrees which means that it is more suitable for jerky than other models but you can change the temperature if you need to.
- Is really easy to use with simple controls. Just push a button to move between time and temperature on the LED display and change these up and down with the arrow buttons. It features digital controls.
- It is quiet, efficient, well-designed and worry-free – there is no need to fear that food or moisture will fall into the heater or the fan. It can be set and left to finish the job without fuss.
Nesco FD-1020 Gardenmaster Cons:
- A bit loud for some people.
- Does not work as well as previous models made by the same manufacturer.
- A bit expensive compared to other similar models.
- Very large and so difficult to store, both when in use on the counter and when it comes to finding cupboard space for putting it away.
- The recipes included in the instruction manual do not give drying times.