1. First Pick – DEWALT DW788 20 Inch Variable Speed Scroll Saw
The DeWalt DW788 Scroll Saw is one of the best. It comes with a double parallel-link arm design that cuts down on vibration and noise so you can make the most accurate and precise cuts possible.
The tool free blade clamp is also great for when you have to make frequent blade changes. It takes only seconds.
It comes with variable speeds that allow you to work with a wide range of materials, and the included dust blower allows you to keep dust and debris out of your line of cutting.
This way, you make better cuts and don’t have to worry about mistakes. The arm design pivots from back to front, reducing your arm movements and delivering smooth, quiet operation.
The arm lift it comes with allows you to work easily with the inner parts of your materials without having to hesitate.
- 20 Inch Cutting Width
- 1.3 Amps Of Power
- 400 – 1,750 SPM Variable Speeds
- 3/4″ – 2″ Stroke Depth
- Reduced Vibration Design
- Includes Hex Wrench and Blades
- 56 Lbs Total Weight
- 3 Year Limited Warranty – 1 Year Free Service Contract
- Virtually zero vibration and very smooth operation across a wide range of materials
- Easy front arm access to the blade tensioner
- Great for everyday use even with the most intricate of designs
- Everything is bearings and no bushings – Makes for a saw with a longer lifespan
- Best blade tensioner in the business – Top of the line DeWalt quality
- Dust blower is powerful enough to keep your cutting area completely clear
- Assembles very easily out of the box
- A little too expensive for some peoples budgets
- Doesn’t have a dust collection kit – No collection attachments available for sale
2. Second Pick – Shop Fox W1713 16-Inch Variable Speed Scroll Saw
The Shop Fox W1713 is a 16 inch variable speed scroll saw that’s low enough in price to be worth considering. It’s the most affordable of the three scroll saws we have listed, and we think it’s well worth it.
It includes a 1/8 horsepower motor, 16 inch cutting width, a gooseneck work light, dust blower, dust port, will work with plain or pin blades, and has a no load speed of 550 – 1700 Strokes Per Minute.
The shipping weight is a surprisingly light 38 lbs, which makes for easy portability and travel to pretty much anywhere you want it to go.
- 1/8 Horsepower 110 Volt/60 Hz Motor
- 16 Inch Cutting Width
- Variable Speeds 550 – 1,700 SPM
- Work Light, Dust Blower, and Dust Port
- 38 Lbs Total Weight
- Highly Portable
- Refund Available For Factory Defects
- Allows you to ship it back for a full refund if there’s any defects
- Blade changes with this scroll saw are easy
- Has a cast iron table instead of cheaply made aluminum
- For the price, this is one of the best deals you can get on a scroll saw
- Paint job on this saw is nice
- A high price tag doesn’t always mean quality – We recommend you give this scroll saw a try
- For small work, there’s no need to even bolt this saw down
- Works great for cutting stock up to a 1/2″ in thickness quickly – For 1″ material you have to work slower
- No setup instructions or user manual included
- Attached light isn’t all that bright
3.Third Pick – Hegner 18″ Variable Speed Scroll Saw
While it is one of the most expensive variable speed scroll saws on the market, many people think the quality of this saw is absolutely remarkable. There are reports of people owning this saw for over 10 years and not having a single issue with it! For that kind of dependability, you should expect to pay substantially more for it than other models.
It comes with a double quicklock tensioning system that keeps the blade tight and as true as it should be. And it stays that way even through the toughest of materials you can put it through. The motor is setup for variable speeds, and you’ll be amazed by the quality of your cuts. This is one scroll saw you won’t soon forget.
The warranty is good for a full 7 years, which is way more than competing models. They put a lot of time and effort into this Hegner product, and the quality is simply astonishing. You can even buy a stand for it that’s sold separately on Amazon for a fair price.
Let’s take a closer look at the features:
- Product Features:
- 18″ Cutting Width
- Double Quicklock Tensioning System
- Variable Speed Motor
- Designed For Intense Usage
- 7 Year Warranty
- Stand Sold Separately
- Simply put, this is the most precise and reliable scroll saw on the market
- You can set a nickel on the edge of this saw and it’s so smooth that it doesn’t even vibrate off! Amazing!
- Cuts even super thick 2″ wood material with no problems at all
- Designed for intense use – Meaning all day without breaks
- People who have tried this Hegner saw swear by it and won’t use any other brand
- Your work will never lift off the plate with this saw
- Dust is blown completely out of the way
- Parts are readily available for this scroll saw just in case you have to make repairs
- Probably the most user friendly saw you will ever encounter
- Way too expensive for people that don’t need a high quality scroll saw