With the Nesco/American Harvest FD-80 Square Shaped Dehydrator, herbs, flowers, granola, fruit, vegetables and meat can be dried in a matter of hours rather than days.
This dehydrator’s drying system pushes air through a pressurized exterior chamber; the air then flows across the trays and down through the center of the unit, efficiently drying food. This process won’t mix flavors, and it isn’t necessary to rotate trays.
The unit features a top-mounted fan, which means that there’s no need to worry about moisture getting into the heating chamber, and its thermostat adjusts from 95F to 155F, allowing for great results with a wide range of foods, herbs and flowers.
The temperature can be controlled manually, and guidelines printed on the unit itself indicate the best heat setting for each type of item. The unit also features a handle to remove the power head and an instruction manual; removable parts such as the trays are dishwasher-safe.
- This dehydrator is easy and convenient to use: it works with vegetables, fruit, meat and herbs.
- The circulation of air means that food dries quickly and evenly, and there is no need to rotate the trays.
- The thermostat is adjustable and instructions are printed on the outside of the unit.
- The item comes with an instruction manual, a bale handle, and dishwasher-safe removable parts.
- The packaging is certified frustration-free.
Nesco FD-80A Pros:
- Offers really good value for money as it is a great price and really useful. Is around mid-range compared to other dehydrators. This unit is very affordable and has several accessories, including a great recipe book.
- Great square trays which cook food evenly and quickly too. The trays tend to hold more than rounded ones as well. The food fits easily onto the trays, which don’t need to be rotated during the drying process.
- Not too noisy compared to other dehydrators – the noise is no louder than a box fan on the low setting. It was so quiet, it had to be checked out to make sure it was actually working!
- The size means that a lot of food can be dehydrated at once and it tastes better than any dried foods bought in the store without the worry of additives.
- Easy to clean as the trays fit nicely in to the dishwasher.
- Comes with lots of helpful hints as well as a user guide which means that anyone who is new to dehydrating will not only know how to use this machine but have ideas on what to use it for.
- A well-built machine that should last a long time.
- It has great drying times of hours rather than days, so many fruits, vegetables, meats and fish can be dried in a short space of time. Therefore it is much faster than a lot of other dehydrators are.
- Has an adjustable thermometer which means that you can select different temperatures according to the food that you are drying. The temperature is accurately monitored by the thermostat.
- Having the fan in the top means that the marinates are blown down in to the food to give them the best possible flavour.
- The food comes out evenly dried and it is all finished at the same time.
- Useful for dehydrating all kinds of foods, including beef, strawberries, bananas, watermelon, and much more.
Nesco FD-80A Cons:
- Is large and therefore takes up a lot of space on the counter when it is being used.
- Does not have a timer, so everything has to be manually timed.
- Does not have any easy clean inserts so it is difficult to clean.
- There is no on/off switch which means that you have to unplug the machine to stop it, which can be annoying at times.